(written in 1982)
One of the Guys
It’s been said that as a man goes through life,
Next to children and a loving wife,
The thing most treasured until life ends
Is the relationship between good friends.
For some, these friends are hard to find,
But I feel that life has been most kind.
For one pleasure that I’ll always prize
Is having been one of the guys.
In ten years of work they all paraded;
Some mere names that have quietly faded.
But a special few have stood apart;
They’ve left a mark on mind and heart.
For these friends and I, time cannot sever
Our common kink that’s lasting ever.
We formed a bond I now realize
Can only exist between the guys.
Our mutual work brought us together,
And at first, of course, we knew not whether
The faces before us could be holding
The joys that soon would be unfolding.
It did not matter from whence we came;
Our newfound goals were now the same.
And we knew with whom we’d fraternize -
We had each become one of the guys.
But Toffler was right when he did state
That change and transience is our fate.
For our working union was abated
As some left or were relocated.
Within all of these rearranges
Only the cast of characters changes.
Just other names to recognize
As the newest members of the guys.
And so its gone in these ten years,
That playing ball and drinking beers
Has been an aspect of employment
That has brought to me the most enjoyment.
Ten years that I have gladly shared
With men about whom I have cared.
Their friendship I now idolize,
For I’ll always be one of the guys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment